homeabout memy blog designswhat is the big photo challengemy big photo challenge entriesThis Weeks Theme

Sunday 20 June 2010

Big Photo Challenge - Small

This week's theme in the Big Photo Challenge is "small"
The Big Photo Challenge
As we all know, I don't like to be normal...normal is just...well....normal. So, this week I decided to do something a little different. I'm still constraining myself by using the sub-theme of macros, but I've taken the image one step further by using it to create a graphic for my design blog. Read on to see what I did...
 I am making a new digital scrapbooking kit and had Melanie from Whimsical Creations make me some embellishments to go in the kit. I was super-pleased with them and decided that I really, really needed to post a teaser on my design blog. So, that's what I'm going to use this image for.

I learned a couple of new things doing this, one being that some cheap white card makes, not only a great background, but it can also be used as a reflector too. I had strong shadows and used a second piece of card to reduce them to something more like what I wanted. I also learned that by composing the shot so that the "subject" is off centre, I can add some text and turn the image into something more magazine-style.

I know this kind of editing isn't for everyone, but for me, photography is also about being functional and useful, whilst trying to push the boundaries a little...oh and having a little fun too. I am loving playing about with macros by the way. I'm so glad I chose to constrain myself in this way :)

2 comments: